Pacific Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus ssp. divergens)
Walruses are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which prohibits the take (i.e., harass, hunt, capture, or kill) of all marine mammals. Please click the link provided after "For more information" to access the Service’s Marine Mammals Management Pacific Walrus website.
- States/US Territories in which the Pacific Walrus, Wherever found is known to or is believed to occur: Alaska
- US Counties in which the Pacific Walrus, Wherever found is known to or is believed to occur: View All
- USFWS Refuges in which the Pacific Walrus, Wherever found is known to occur:
Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge, Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Countries in which the the Pacific Walrus, Wherever found is known to occur: Russia
- Additional species information
|Status||Date Listed||Lead Region||Where Listed|
|Alaska Region (Region 7)||Wherever found|
» Candidate Information
» Federal Register Documents
» Conservation Plans
No conservation plans have been created for Pacific Walrus.
» Life History
No Life History information has been entered into this system for this species.
» Other Resources
NatureServe Explorer Species Reports -- NatureServe Explorer is a source for authoritative conservation information on more than 50,000 plants, animals and ecological communtities of the U.S and Canada. NatureServe Explorer provides in-depth information on rare and endangered species, but includes common plants and animals too. NatureServe Explorer is a product of NatureServe in collaboration with the Natural Heritage Network.
ITIS Reports -- ITIS (the Integrated Taxonomic Information System) is a source for authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, fungi, and microbes of North America and the world.
FWS Digital Media Library -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's National Digital Library is a searchable collection of selected images, historical artifacts, audio clips, publications, and video.