Hawksbill sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata)
Where Listed: WHEREVER FOUND
The endangered Hawksbill Sea Turtle is one of seven species of sea turtles found throughout the world. One of the smaller sea turtles, it has overlapping scutes (plates) that are thicker than those of other sea turtles. This protects them from being battered against sharp coral and rocks during storm events. Adults range in size from 30 to 36 inches (0.8-1.0 meters) carapace length, and weigh 100 to 200 pounds (45-90 kilograms). Its carapace (upper shell) is an attractive dark brown with faint yellow streaks and blotches and a yellow plastron (under shell). The name "hawksbill" refers to the turtle's prominent hooked beak.
- States/US Territories in which the Hawksbill sea turtle, Wherever found is known to or is believed to occur: Alabama , American Samoa , Connecticut , Delaware , Florida , Georgia , Guam , Hawaii , Louisiana , Maine , Maryland , Massachusetts , Mississippi , New Hampshire , New Jersey , New York , North Carolina , Northern Mariana Islands , Palau , Puerto Rico , Rhode Island , South Carolina , Texas , Virginia , Virgin Islands
- US Counties in which the Hawksbill sea turtle, Wherever found is known to or is believed to occur: View All
- USFWS Refuges in which the Hawksbill sea turtle, Wherever found is known to occur:
Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge, Baker Island National Wildlife Refuge, Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge... Show All Refuges
- Countries in which the the Hawksbill sea turtle, Wherever found is known to occur: American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Southern Territories, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma), Nauru, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Northern Mariana Islands, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United States, U.S. Pacific Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen
- Additional species information
|Status||Date Listed||Lead Region||Where Listed|
|1970-06-02||Southeast Region (Region 4)||Wherever found|
» Federal Register Documents
|1999-03-23 00:00:00.0||64 FR 14052 14077||(NOAA/NMFS) Endangered and Threatened Species; Regulations Consolidation; Final Rule|
|1987-06-29 00:00:00.0||52 FR 24244 24262||NOAA--Sea Turtle Conservation; Shrimp Trawling Requirements; 52 FR 24244- 24262|
|Date||Title||Plan Action Status||Plan Status|
|1993-12-15||Recovery Plan for the Hawksbill Turtle in the U.S. Caribbean, Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico||View Implementation Progress||Final Revision 1|
|1998-01-12||Recovery Plan for U.S. Pacific Populations of the Hawksbill Turtle||View Implementation Progress||Final Revision 1|
|2013-05-28||HAWKSBILL SEA TURTLE (ERETMOCHELYS IMBRICATA) 5-YEAR REVIEW: SUMMARY AND EVALUATION|
|2007-08-23||Hawksbill sea turtle 5-yr review|
» Critical Habitat
|Date||Citation Page||Title||Document Type||Status|
|1999-03-23||64 FR 14052 14077||(NOAA/NMFS) Endangered and Threatened Species; Regulations Consolidation; Final Rule||Final Rule||Final designated|
|1998-09-02||63 FR 46693 46701||Designated Critical Habitat; Green and Hawksbill Sea Turtles||Final Rule||Not Required|
|1982-06-24||47 FR 27295 27298||ETWP; Determination of Critical Habitat for Hawksbill Sea Turtle in Puerto Rico||Final Rule||Not Required|
|1980-10-22||45 FR 70198 70201||ETWP; Proposed Determination of Critical Habitat for Hawksbill Sea Turtle in Puerto Rico||Proposed Rule||Not Required|
|1978-05-24||43 FR 22224 22225||Proposed Determination of Critical Habitat for the Hawksbill Sea Turtle||Proposed Rule||Not Required|
To learn more about critical habitat please see http://ecos.fws.gov/crithab
» Conservation Plans
|HCP Plan Summaries|
|Escambia County Beaches|
|Indian River County Sea Turtle|
|Palmas del Mar Resort|
|Sage Development Amendment #1|
» Life History
No Life History information has been entered into this system for this species.
» Other Resources
NatureServe Explorer Species Reports -- NatureServe Explorer is a source for authoritative conservation information on more than 50,000 plants, animals and ecological communtities of the U.S and Canada. NatureServe Explorer provides in-depth information on rare and endangered species, but includes common plants and animals too. NatureServe Explorer is a product of NatureServe in collaboration with the Natural Heritage Network.
ITIS Reports -- ITIS (the Integrated Taxonomic Information System) is a source for authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, fungi, and microbes of North America and the world.
FWS Digital Media Library -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's National Digital Library is a searchable collection of selected images, historical artifacts, audio clips, publications, and video.